Appliance on Fire

Problem Flames or smoke are coming from appliance.

Background: If an appliance doesn’t work correctly, or if it gives even the slightest shock, disconnect it and get it repaired. Insulation makes appliance cords safe. Replace cords that are worn, broken, or brittle from age or overheating because they can cause a dangerous short circuit and fire, see Appliance Plug or Cord Defective. Avoid connecting several appliances through an extension cord, or using octopus-type (multiple outlet) plugs. Run cords in safe, out-of-the-way places.

What to do: If you discover a fire in any appliance, unplug it if possible, or turn off the power at the appliance’s circuit breaker. Call the fire department and explain that there is an electrical fire, and alert anyone else in the home. Don’t put water on the flame; use a fire extinguisher recommended for electrical fires (see below).

Special advice: Only fire extinguishers rated for class C fires and marked with the letter “C” should be used in and around live electrical equipment such as appliances, radios, and TV sets. (Class A fires are those fueled by wood, fabric, paper, rubber, and most plastics; class B fires are fueled by flammable liquids such as oil, gasoline, paint, or grease.) Two kinds of dry-chemical extinguishers are offered for home use: one rated “Multipurpose A:B:C,” which uses monoammonium phosphate against all three classes of fires, and another which uses sodium bicarbonate against class B and class C fires.

Helpful hint: Good locations for fire extinguishers include: the corridor near the door of a bedroom; the end wall cabinet next to a kitchen door; in the hall near the living room; by the tool rack near a shop exit; and the wall close to the doors of either a garage or boat house.


 

The Home Repair Guide

 

The well-stocked toolbox

The equipment you will need for home projects depends on which ones you intend to tackle...

 

Fire Inside Home

Background: In case of a fire emergency, don’t panic; stay calm. Your safe escape may depend on clear thinking...

 

Smoke Detector Sounds

Smoke detectors that make a loud continuous sound,
when the test button has not been pushed, have sensed smoke...

 

Appliance on Fire

Background: If an appliance doesn’t work correctly, or if it gives even the slightest shock, disconnect it and get it repaired. Insulation makes...

 

Chimney Overheated or on Fire

Problem: Fire in fireplace or wood stove overheats chimney or ignites fire in chimney, accompanied by a loud roaring sound...

 

Gas Smell in Home

Problem: Natural gas or propane gas smell is detected in home, or in particular area of appliances...

 

Gas Detector Sounds

Special alarms are available to detect natural gas or liquid propane (LP) gas leaks which could build up to concentrations that could result in...

 

Gas Appliance Venting Faulty

Gas appliances such as furnaces, water heaters, space heaters, and gas logs, must be connected to a flue vented to the outdoors and have an...

 

Carbon Monoxide in Home

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas. Usually carbon dioxide (C0 is produced during the combustion of carbon...

 

Power Supply Is Cut Off

Electrical power is cut off to home because of storms, tornadoes, floods, or other mechanical failures...

 

Fuel Supply Is Cut Off

Power outages, as well as fuel outages, can immobilize the heating and cooking systems in the home. If electricity is off...

 

 

 

Other People Are Reading

 

 

 Back to Top

 
 
 
 
 

The Home Repair Guide

| Site Map  | Add Link Resources | Privacy Policy © 2016 PainterClick.com All Rights Reserved.